Miles for Melanoma volunteers are passionate about their fight against melanoma! Join us and you will provide support and make a difference in the lives of those who have been affected by this disease. As volunteers, you are the key to our success; we appreciate the time, energy and commitment that you devote to this cause. We could not do it without you!
How Can I Help?
There are opportunities for individuals and groups of all sizes and abilities!
Volunteers will help with:
- General event day operations, including set-up and break-down
- Event day check-in and registration, including t-shirt distribution
- Refresh and refuel tables, ensuring our participants stay energized and hydrated
- Course motivators - providing motivation and directions on the course and at the finish line
- Water stop - handing out water on the course to keep participants hydrated
- Skin screening - promoting free skin screenings at the event and providing direction on signing up for a screening
We know that your time is valuable. Usually, our event day volunteers are asked to commit to 3-4 hours based on their roles. Volunteers who wish to also participant in the 5k are given the opportunity to sign up for a shift that makes this possible.
Volunteers should arrive no later than 5:30 a.m. on Saturday, August 26, 2017.
This event is being held at Firefighter's Field, which is located on Roosevelt Island in New York City. Directions to the event are available here.
Parking is available for volunteers is extremely limited; only street parking is available. Parking is first come, first serve.
We highly recommend everyone take public transit. Firefighter's Field is available via the Roosevelt Island subway station; the field is just southeast and within walking distance of the station.
Where Do I Go When I Arrive?
Upon arrival, please make your way to the registration area for day-of assignments, as well as a brief training and Q&A session.
What to Wear?
The Melanoma Research Foundation (MRF) is vigilant about sun safety and encourages you to use your best judgement. We recommend wearing comfortable and breathable clothing such as long shorts, yoga pants, workout attire, etc. Some roles may require lifting, so we request that you wear close-toed shoes.
The MRF will provide free wicking/UPF 50 t-shirts for you to wear the day of the event and take home with you!
Please contact our Senior Volunteer Coordinator, Cassie Beisel, at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you have.